Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hiking in Juanilama: Community and Eco-Farming

Today is July 31, 2011. This morning we visited a plantation that grew pineapples ‘ananas’ is the true word for pineapples. We participated in learning about pineapple farming and we got to plant a chute a small new pineapple plant. The right was organic without any pesticides because they use plastic to try to prevent weeds just like the one I use on my garden. We then went on a hike to a waterfall to swim; along the way there were thousands of army ants that were on the forest floor. They bit me until Eric loaned me a pair of socks to protect my feet when we got to the waterfall it was awesome. I went in the water and it was so weird because I’m used to salt water but it was refreshing. After we were done swimming we hiked back to plant trees. I planted mahogany  and another tree that supports the green macaw. That’s all for now but I will blog later. Peace.

-Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment



Adventure Details

Duration 8 days
Destinations San Jose
Arenal Volcano
Caribbean Coast
Focus Ecology/Conservation
Biology
Geology/Volcanology