Thursday, July 21, 2011

Post from Kyle W.- Day 6 Recap

Kyle Day 6
On day 6 we went zip lining at the Arenal Reserve. First we put on our harnesses, then we boarded the sky tram and then we rode up to the metal platform where the first zip line was held. Once we were taught all the positions for zip lining it was time to get in line. I was about the 16th in line. So it didn’t take that long to get to the front of the line. Once I got to the zip line, they strapped me in and my heart started pounding! The person who strapped me in counted back from 5 and let me go at 2! Once I started gathering speed I got to see the whole lake of Arenal and a great view of the rain forest. The wind in my face and all the fresh air was very exhilarating. I was so astounded that I almost forgot to spread my legs before I got to the platform. Unfortunately I guess I wasn’t heavy enough, so I got stuck a few times and had to climb upside down on the zip line like a howler monkey. On the second zip line I got to see some very dense rainforest. Luckily I didn’t get stuck on this one! On the 3rd zip line, on the other hand, I wasn’t so lucky. I had to climb upside down for the longest time. More zip lines passed and finally we got to the last zip line, it being the longest, fastest and lowest to the rainforest. We zoomed through a hole in the canopy and returned to a large metal platform. As I was looking off the edge waiting for everyone else, I saw a brown and black spotted bird flying from branch to branch chirping at something. After about a minute I finally looked at what it was screaming at, a giant black snake with large bright yellow spots! I watched the snake climb around the tree and finally when it was time to go it looked at me and yawned. He was only about 20 feet away from me, so it was a bit scary. After everyone finished zip lining we slipped on our bathing suits and rode to the hot springs. Quick fact: the Arenal Volcano heats these hot springs. The hot springs were very refreshing and we got to stay in them for a couple hours. One corner was so hot that I could only sit in it for about 5 seconds! After we had to get out we ate dinner at the hot springs and many people tried avocado for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Adventure Details

Duration 8 days
Destinations San Jose
Arenal Volcano
Caribbean Coast
Focus Ecology/Conservation
Biology
Geology/Volcanology